CFA Institute’s website has a great list of resources for firms claiming compliance with the Global Investment Performance Standards (GIPS®). Most items relate to the 2020 edition of the GIPS Standards that was released on June 30, 2019. The documents include information and insights about implementation of the GIPS standards along with best practices and other provisions. A summary of the resources and tools is below:
- 2020 GIPS standards resources:
- Explanation of the Provisions in Section 1 – Fundamentals of Compliance
- Explanation of the Provisions in Section 2 – Input Data and Calculation Methodology
- Explanation of the Provisions in Section 3 – Composite and Pooled Fund Maintenance
- Explanation of the Provisions in Section 4 – Composite Time-Weighted Return Report
Within each section, the discussion and explanations are informative and help to address options firms should consider when establishing or modifying policies and procedures. In addition, there are links to purchase a paperback copy of the GIPS standards and the Explanation of the Provisions.
- 2020 GIPS standards tools:
- Explanation of the Provisions in Section 2 – calculations
- Explanation of the Provisions in Section 4 – calculations
- GIPS Reports for Firms – Comparison of reports table
- Branding guidelines: Guidance for the proper use of the GIPS® trademark
- Other helpful resources
- Verifier RFP questions
- Guidance statement on Verifier Independence
We encourage you to review these helpful resources. Fairview Performance Services is available to answer questions about interpreting and applying the new guidance.